In 1946 the development of three story residential houses in the district of Obeciny started, these represented transition to a different form of living and a higher living standard. The architect of the urbanistic solution was Vladimír Kubečka and the architect solution was carried out by Vladimír Karfík. The individual objects are three stories high, with basement, built in several sections lined up next to each other in a row with the orientation of the flats to east-west. These are mainly three room flats with food preparation area with fully fitted kitchen, pantry cupboard and rubbish chutes. The flats have district heating. The brickwork is made out of bricks, the ceilings are from concrete boards, the outside brickwork is made out of crevice bricks. The balconies are made out of curly metal or from performed concrete boards. On each floor there are situated two identical three room flats – with the exception of the end flats by the so called south section, which are always four room flats.
Two eight story corridor houses were named after the then mayor of Zlín Vilém Morýs. Each of them contains almost one hundred flats and is for a high standard of living. The disposition of these is of a three wing, the traditional skeleton has a narrower middle part. Each of the houses consists of 60 two room flats, 30 three room flats and 7 smaller flats. The inside utilities of the flats are artificially ventilated. Architecture wise it is the traditional module rhythm that is used. The building facade is made out of crevice bricks. The balconies were made out of concrete prefabricated parts.
Between the years 1945-1950 the twelve storey collective house were built as one of two in Czechoslovakia (the second one was in Litvínov by the architects Linhart and Hilský), the concept of the collective house evolves the idea started in Morýs houses. The flats were of a high standard and can be modified by variable partition walls, they are equipped only by so called kitchen boxes that are situated like any other compliance inside the disposition and they are artificially lit and ventilated. There used to be a restaurant on the ground floor, club houses and an exercise room on the recreational terrace. The creche and nursery were established in a designated ground wing. In the building there are 26 three-bedroom and 76 two-bedroom flats. Construction wise, it is a monolithic reinforced concrete skeleton. The object represents matured constructivism of the post-war era and in 1958 it was listed in the List of immovable cultural monuments of the Czech Republic. In 2003 the cultural institute called Alternativa was opened in the space of the former restaurant and various cultural, educational as well as social events take place here.
Five eight storey tower houses, each of them consisting of 29 two-bedroom flats were designed by the architect Miroslav Drofa, who was inspired by similar buildings in Scandinavian countries. The disposition uses the inside staircase that does not have direct light. The individual flats have the facilities inside the disposition and it is artificially ventilated. The brick supporting structure for the height of eight storeys was used here for the first time. The group of tower residential houses is an example of a constructivism in multi storey residential houses.
40. Medical houses
Bata hospital area, Havlíčkovo nábřeží 2916, 3317, 3117
Architect: not traced
finished in (project):
1936 (1935) I. Medical house
1937 III. Medical house
1940 II. Medical house
owner: Regioanal centre for the emergency services of Zlín (č. p. 2916),
Baťova nemocnice Zlín, Havlíčkovo nábřeží 600, Zlín (č. p. 3317, 3117)
Very economical eight flat houses widen the typological structure of Bata architecture designed for living purposes. Urbanistic wise they continue both Gahura´ s pavilion plan of Bata hospital and living quarters of Zálešná in the north neighbourhood. The architectural solution is also of a high quality.